Washing is essential part of wigs maintenance to ensure that they last longer and look good. Synthetic wigs are easier to clean and care for as they are made of sturdy synthetic material which is not as fragile as human hair. Synthetic wigs take less time to come back to the original shape and style after every washing. They are also much cooler and lighter to wear which is an added advantage especially during the moist and hot weather.
Costume wigs are specifically crafted in a particular shape or style that is hard to recreate once they loosen up the shape. They are generally made of synthetic material and hence dry faster, hold their shape and retain style for longer.
In order to make sure that your wigs and hairpieces look good and are in best of the shape, you must ensure that they are clean and well maintained every time before you put them on. To protect your wigs from appearing oily or dirty, you must timely wash them, remove tangles from them before every washing as it might result into damage and always use the prescribed wigs care products for prolonged life. Cheap shampoos usually contain excessive amounts of detergents which is harmful as it dries them up.
Mentioned below are the washing tips for costume wigs:
1. Brush out the tangles with a wide wigs brush or comb (however, you should avoid too much brushing if the wig is extremely curly or was prescribed not to brush or comb). While most of the synthetic wigs and hairpieces retain their shape, usually they should be combed before washing.
2. Fill up a bucket or sink with cold water (never use hot water as it harms hair texture and also the curls).
3. Pour a handful amount of prescribed synthetic wigs shampoo in the water and shake a little with hand to let shampoo mix well in water.
4. Immerse wig into the water and let it stay in there for about 5 minutes.
5. Remove the wig and rinse in cold water until all the contents of shampoo are washed out. You may try repeating the process if you feel there is dirt remaining.
6. Place the wig on a bath towel and gently soak the excess water. Give a gentle shake and let it air dry on the wig stand. You can use your fingers to gently separate and arrange the strands as the wig is drying, but don't try to comb or brush the wig while still wet as fibers could be stretched leading to further breakage.